Aurora Announces Q3 2017 Results
Strong Revenue Growth, Increased Revenue per Patient
Construction of Aurora Sky Proceeding on Schedule
VANCOUVER , May 15, 2017 /CNW/ – Aurora Cannabis Inc. (the “Company” or “Aurora”) (TSXV: ACB) (OTCQX: ACBFF) ( Frankfurt : 21P; WKN: A1C4WM) today announced its financial and operational results for the quarter ended March 31, 2017 (Q3 2017).
Operational Highlights and Recent Developments
Revenues of $5.2 million as compared to $0.2 million for Q3 2016. Q3 2017 revenues reflect 33.3% sequential growth over Q2 2017, driven both by increased patient numbers and higher revenue per patient. The Company’s current sales pace exceeds $2.0 million per month. Aurora continues to execute well on all aspects of its growth strategy, including the construction of a state-of-the-art 800,000 square foot production facility, national and international expansion, and continued investments in technology, innovation, partnerships, customer service, and sales and marketing.
Financial and operational highlights Q3 2017
Active registered patients at close of period 1
Adjusted gross profit 2
Investment in capital assets
As of the date hereof, the Company has approximately 13,600 active registered patients
Adjusted gross profit is a non GAAP financial measure that does not have a standardized meaning under IFRS and may not be comparable to other companies. See reconciliation later in this document.
Developments subsequent to the quarter
- Achieved sales pace exceeding $2 million in gross monthly revenues.
- Commenced sales of cannabis oils.
- Construction of Aurora Sky, the Company’s flagship new 800,000 square foot production facility at the Edmonton International Airport, is proceeding well and on schedule. The Company currently estimates the capital cost of the project to be in the range of $110 million .
- Production at the new facility is expected to commence late in calendar 2017 upon completion of the initial phases of the project, with the full 800,000 square feet completed in 2018 and full capacity reached in 2019.
- Further strengthened its financial position with completion of the $75 million 7% unsecured convertible debentures offering, and converted $17,500,000 of outstanding 8% convertible debentures into approximately 8,750,000 additional common shares.
- Completed the acquisition of Peloton Pharmaceuticals Inc., which includes a 40,000-square foot cannabis production facility in Pointe-Claire, Quebec , currently 80% complete. Subsequent to the acquisition, Aurora has re-initiated construction activities towards completion and licensing.
- Commenced international expansion with the participation in Cann Group Limited’s initial public offering on the Australian Stock Exchange (ASX: CAN) for A$6.5 million , and now holds 19.9% of the shares issued and outstanding in Australia’s first licensed cannabis company.
- Approximately $86.5 million in additional gross cash proceeds may be available from the potential future exercise of warrants, stock options and compensation options/warrants.
- Completed phase II of the research collaboration with Radient Technologies Inc. (“RTI”), and a report is expected from RTI, subject to confirmation of analytical results from Anandia Labs, by May 31, 2017 .
- Appointed Glen Ibbott as Chief Financial Officer.
- Appointed Andrea Paine as Director, Québec Affairs.
“The tabling this spring of legislation to legalize adult consumer use of cannabis validates our aggressive growth and expansion strategy,” said Terry Booth , CEO. “The progress of construction and timelines to complete our 800,000 square foot Aurora Sky facility position us exceptionally well for the anticipated start of adult consumer sales by July 2018 .”
Booth continued, “Our premium cannabis products continue to resonate strongly with the rapidly growing medical market. Following an exceptional patient growth rate for the first twelve months of commercial operations, demand continues to exceed available supply. We have pro-actively managed new patient registrations in Q3 2017 to balance demand with our steadily increasing production capacity to ensure we protect our position as a premium supplier. As our capacity increases and more product becomes consistently available, we anticipate patient acquisition will resume its steady growth. We are also very excited to have commenced cannabis oil sales shortly after the quarter ended. They have gotten off to a brisk start, and we expect these to be a material contributor to revenues, enabling us to capture significant share in this fast growing segment of the cannabis market.”
Booth concluded, “Going forward, with one of the strongest cash balances in the industry, we will be able to execute on our aggressive expansion plans, both domestically and internationally, as we have done successfully with the acquisition of Peloton and our participation in the IPO of Australia’s first licensed cannabis company, Cann Group. Finally, as we are maturing as an organization, we have added considerable strength to the management team with the appointments of a CFO and Director of Québec Affairs. These new team members will add important additional senior executive capacity as we pursue our goals and execute our growth strategy.”
Highlights Q3 2017
- Obtained cannabis oil sales license in January 2017 .
- Significantly strengthened the balance sheet with in total $127.4 in new funds:
- Generated approximately $27.4 million from the exercise of warrants, stock options and compensation options.
- $25 million in completed brokered private placement of 8% unsecured convertible debentures.
- $75 million in completed brokered private placement of 33,337,500 units at a price of $2.25 per unit.
- Generated revenues of approximately $5.2 million , up 33%, or approximately $1.3 million , from Q2 2017;
- Sold 653,008 grams of cannabis, up 21% from Q2 2017.
- Achieved new sales milestones.
- Sales pace for the quarter in excess of $1.5 million per month.
- Record sales month in March 2017 with product sales in excess of 250 kilograms and gross revenue in excess of $2 million .
- Launched second generation of the Company’s highly successful mobile application.
- Graduated from the OTCQB to the OTCQX.
- Signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Radient Technologies Inc. (“Radient”) for a joint development and commercialization of superior and standardized cannabinoid extracts. Entered into a joint venture research agreement pursuant to which Radient and Aurora are working to validate the effectiveness of Radient’s MAP technology for cannabis extraction.
- Invested approximately $3.3 million in Radient’s convertible debenture and private placement financings, resulting in an 18% ownership
- Appointed Neil Belot as Chief Global Business Development Officer.
- Appointed Dr. Barry Waisglass as Medical Director.
Financial review Q3 2017
A comprehensive discussion of Aurora’s financials and operations are provided in the Company’s Management Discussion Analysis and Financial Statements filed with SEDAR and can be found on www.sedar.com.
The Company sold 653,008 grams of cannabis during Q3 2017, up 21% from Q2 2017. Revenues of $5.2 million were generated in Q3 2017, as compared to $0.2 million for Q3 2016, and up 33%, or approximately $1.3 million , from Q2 2017, driven by higher patient numbers and an increase in the revenue per patient. The Company has pro-actively managed new patient registrations in Q3 2017, following an exceptional patient growth rate for the first twelve months of commercial operations, in order to balance demand with its steadily increasing production capacity, and to protect the Company’s reputation as a reliable supplier of premium products. As more product becomes available, the Company anticipates it will increase new patient registration and return to higher patient acquisition rates.
Gross Profit and Adjusted Gross Profit
Management believes that “Adjusted Gross Profit”, a non GAAP measure, provides useful insight into the Company’s operational performance during the periods by excluding non-cash fair value measurements of biological assets that are required under IFRS, as follows: